Thursday, November 8, 2012

Sore, sore, and did I mention SORE...

This Jiu Jitsu is just, how do they say it in Italy, Awesome.  But the side effects are a complete body soreness that I cannot quite explain.  The day started out this morning at 4:30.  I did not want to get out of my cozy bed.  I really wanted to press snooze like 400 times.  But alas, it is Thursday, and that means it is BJJ time.  So I crawl into the shower, knees aching, elbows sore, hands feeling arthritic and my jaw hurts.

My knees are always a little achy in the morning, but then I get moving and they feel good.  They feel a lot better than they did a year ago.

My elbows hurt because they keep getting bent the wrong way.

My hands are sore from having to have a constant firm grip on the person you are rolling with.

My jaw hurts from where a 270 pound man drove his knee into the side of my face to get leverage so he could bend my elbow backwards.

beyond the BJJ, I am still slowly training to take on the Lonestar Ironman in Galveston on April 7, 2013.  So far the only thing that I have missed with my workouts is 1 running session last week, and running hills yesterday.  I devised a workout grading system.  I have to mentally grade myself in many things that I do in order to know if I am doing them well.  So I have set a weeks worth of working out in a small notebook.  Each entry is worth 1 point.  So for this week Monday's workout was 17 activities.  Bench press, cable triceps, side ab cable, front plank, side plank, running plank, reach across, incline, rope triceps, shrugs, sit  ups, chest fly, overhead triceps, bench jumps and 3 5 minute sessions on the bike for 5 minutes in between sets.  I do each of those things in 3 sets, and do them in 5 exercise rotations.  I will ride the bike for 5 minutes, bench 12 reps, cable triceps each arm 12 times, side ab cable each side 12 times, plank forward for 30 seconds and do 15 reach across exercises.  Then I will repeat in 10 rep and then 8 rep increments.  Then when I finish the 3 sets, back on the bike for 5 minutes and head to the next cycle of 5 exercises.  I only rest about 10 seconds between each exercise so it as at an aerobic pace.

So 17 points are able to earned on Monday.  If I cannot finish or I do not do a set I lose a point.  I have 52 points to earn this week.  i have earned 34 so far.  So I have an average grade of a 65.

It is my system and it makes sense to me.

I figure that at the end of the week if I am in a 95% or better it was an extremely good week.  That is my goal from here on out is 95% or better.  I f I am running a 95% in the last week of January i am registering for the Lonestar Ironman.

Have a happy Thursday.

Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment