Tuesday, December 18, 2012

2013 is upon us...if the Mayans were wrong that is

So 2012 is just about over. What a year it has been. I set out the year to get healthier. I definitely have laid a good foundation for that. The holidays have added a few lbs to my girly physique, but once these crazy stupid retail hours are done my training will get back to normal. I started this year weighing just north of 360 pounds and as I type I am floating in the low 270's. I got down to 260 in October, but the hours and the food have taken their toll. I ran a few triathlons and started JiuJitsu. I had a bunch of teeth removed and I had a little proactive surgery on my...well urethral area. Nice. But my cholesterol and blood sugar and liver enzymes are super healthy. I also can say for the first time since I was about 13 that not a single nicotine product was put in my body for the entire year. 19 months for that one. I am feeling like a great foundation has been laid and in 2013 it will be stronger.

I have always started the year with hair brained ideas and goals. Write a book. Learn a language. Get a million dollars. Learn an instrument. All silly things that used to be fueled with alcohol filled New Year's Eve parties. Now I actually say down and made a list of things that I wanted to accomplish. I wanted 5 things, I wound up with 13.

1. I want to ride 2000 miles on my bike. I did about 800 last year and did that starting in March and really ending in September before my surgery.
2. 6 sprint triathlons. I have them scheduled up and ready.
3. 2 Olympic triathlons. I hope to be ready by the Clear Lake in mid August and the Houston at the end of September.
4. Weigh under 240 pounds. I have roughly 35 to go and that will be awesome.
5. Run 250 miles. I hate running. This will be very hard.
6. Read 2 books to becoming a better leader. I need that.
7. Read 2 books to becoming a better sales person. I don't need that.
8. Visit this blog and share twice a week. I do it in spurts. I want to get a little more regular.
9. Obtain 3 stripes in JiuJitsu. I know I am on the verge of the first one. I want this bad.
10. Return to church. Born catholic. Raised catholic. Schooled catholic. Confirmed catholic. I dearly want this back in my life. I don't know how I will measure this.
11. Tough Mudder. This is bizarre.
12. MS150 to Austin. A nice 184 mile bike ride in April.
13. Read the bible. Never done it. Gonna try.

I figure that if the Mayans don't ruin it on Friday that these 13 things will keep me super duper busy. Kennedy is going to run a kids tri in may. And I almost have Ashley convinced to do one in August. We will see.

Ian

1 comment:

  1. Don't start with Genesis. Start with Chronicles and the historical books post-torah. Then fill in the prophets where appropriate, and the wisdom books. Put the Torah in with the exilic prophets, like Jeremiah and Isaiah. That's when it was written down for the most part. I found this to be the best way to present the OT to 6th graders. Treat it as history with the literature, poetry, and wisdom in the appropriate places. The NT I am less familiar with, teaching and reading-wise.

    Get a good study bible in a decent translation (not King James, essentially). Get two different ones, in fact, so you can see the differences. There are ancient arguments over words.

    As for the biking, my own goal is 1500 this year--it gets damned cold in January and I doubt I will risk frostbite often. Or maybe it'll be like last winter and there won't be any excuses.

    ReplyDelete