Sunday, October 28, 2012

24 weeks to go

24 weeks to go.  That is what I wrote on paper last night.  24 long, difficult, quit filled weeks to go.  Lot's of things are happening.  April 7 will be here so soon. 

April 7 is the Texas Ironman.  It isn't a full Ironman, that may or may come one day.  It is just a half Ironman.  70.3 miles of challenge.  168 days to ready myself for this kind of competition.

I came to the conclusion that this can be done.  I have done a lot in the last 10 months.  I have lost a lot of weight.  i pushed my way through a couple of small triathlons.  I showed myself that I can accomplish things that I previously thought were impossible.

So why not a 70.3 mile race?  I can think of so many reasons to not do it.  It is hard.  It will be painful.  It will take discipline.  It will suck to train for.

But there are so many reasons why I should do it. 

I keep those close to the heart.  I keep them deep inside so when I want to quit, I reach down for those reasons and I keep going.

241 miles of running.

1045 miles of riding.

39 miles of swimming.

49 weightlifting sessions.

77 Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes.  Oh, Yeah.  I started taking Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.  It is an incredible workout.

That is what it is going to take to make this happen.  It all starts tomorrow.  I won't see the saddle of a bike until the first week of December, doctor's orders.  I won't see the pool until the first week of January.

When it is all said and done I should be at a race weight of around 230.  That would be sophmore in high school kind of weight and would put my total loss at 135 lbs in 16 months.

This will really put me into a good place.  I have 6 or 7 other triathlons that I have already picked out for next season, and my Tough Mudder. 

And the Jiu Jitsu thing, it takes 8-10 years to become a black belt, so that is a new part of my life. 

ian


2 comments:

  1. the 70 miles isn't 70 miles running, correct? That's a combo of bike/swim/run? This is all making me flinch a little bit (but on my own I've decided to do the Tour de Shawnee next october, 100 miles on the bike--I'm up to 41 right now). So maybe not flinch...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1.2 mile swim. 56 mile bike. 13.1 mile run. I want to do it in about 6 hours. But I also just want to finish.

      If I don't die doing that on April 7, then I will ride the MS 150 to Austin on April 20 and 21. It is 91 miles the first day and 72 the second. That will be nice. Not a lot of training between the 2 events so I can recover.

      Delete