Monday, October 15, 2012

Preparing the menu

So along with all these lofty athletic goals comes a better and healthier way to eat.  I have pretty healthy numbers according to my doctor, which is a lot better than they were back 2 years ago.

My numbers from my doctor: 
  • Total cholesterol 192 (Under 200 is ideal)
  • Triglycerides 80 (Under 150 is target)
  • HDL cholesterol (good) 58 (Over 55 is ideal)
  • LDL cholesterol (bad) 118 (between 100-129 is ideal)
  • Glucose 86 (between 70-99 is target)
  • AST liver enzyme 30 (8-48 is target)
  • ALT liver enzyme 15 (7-55 is target)
  • Potassium 4.9 (3.7-5.2 is target)
The levels are according to the Mayo clinic (google).

So to keep these numbers there I examined what I was eating.  while I had pretty much eliminated the crap from fast food, I still had hidden crap, like granola bars and fat free yogurt.  So I am changing up what we eat in our house for dinner to not that much fanfare.  The salmon went over well last night, but the wild rice and broccoli casserole (no cheese or butter) did not go as planned. 

Today it is baked chicken breasts, roasted tomato slices and black beans.  The black beans have jalapenos, onions and garlic in them, and it is my first attempt at beans of any kind, so needless to say this will be an adventure.

Cannot wait until bison chili on thursday.

Much to the dismay of my wife and daughter I am eliminating the processed, boxed food that they are so very used to.  And it is killing them on day 2.

ian

2 comments:

  1. How were beans? We eat a lot of beans (duh)--our meat is limited mostly to the deer Mike kills. Anyway, the first times out with beans can be sad but don't give up. Do you have a crock pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a crock pot and I am still perfecting the beans. The first batch was bland, the second was WAY too spicy. Tonights turkey chili is just right.

      Delete