Monday, July 13, 2009

The La Quinta Dilemna

I am at this La Quinta conference room learning the ins and outs of the computer program that is used in insurance adjusting. There are roughly 50 people in a room that could easily accomodate 25. We all have these wonderful tables that we are sitting at that are all of 18 inches wide and maybe 5 feet in length. Of course 3 of us sit at each table and we all have to have a laptop open and on.

This was a bigger adventure yesterday morning as the hotel was full of teenage girls and their hairdryers. The power kept tripping.

I seem to be the smartest person in the room. There are a lot of extremely dumb people that have taken and passed the Texas adjusters license test and are now taking the software side. These people all think they are going out there and just getting a job and everything will be fine and dandy. I am sure a few will, but like my class, I can only envision about 5-10 of these people being able to pull this off. How is the 250 lb fat lady in the back of the room that chain smokes on every break really going to get up and inspect and sketch a 2 story roof? How is the 80 year old man with the cane going to do the same? Half of the room cannot turn on their computer and they are going to be expected to work from those darn nagged contraptions?

I am able to blog right now because I finished the sample work he just assigned us 30 minutes before the next guy will.

I am not being conceited, people are just not that smart at this particular La Quinta...maybe at a different La Quinta people are smarter. Have you ever felt that you are at the wrong La Quinta?

1 comment:

  1. Most of the jobs I've ever held, I was at the wrong La Quinta. With possibly the exception of the last place (the middle school math position at a catholic school). There, that was the right La Quinta. But all the retail, all the other schools...

    ReplyDelete